Oct 22, 2008

Glazed Ham Loaf....yummmm...

For anyone living in the Kansas City area there is a
local store called McGonigle's located at 1307 W 79th Street.
They sell really nice cuts of meat and developed the main ingredient to this recipe. Ham loaf (sold only at their store) is a combination of ground veal, pork and ham. This is their recipe.
I won't tell you it is healthy...but everyone loves it...give it a try!
1 1/2 to 2 lbs ham loaf mix
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs (I use the boxed kind)
4 T finely chopped onion
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
Brown Sugar Glaze:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
Combine loaf ingredients and mix well. Shape into oval, flat loaf in a glass baking dish. With a large knife make three wide slashes at an angle across the top. Bake in a 350 degree oven for one hour. Spoon off drippings and baste all of the Brown Sugar Glaze over the loaf. Continue baking 30 minutes, basting often with the glaze.

4 comments:

Laura said...

This Ham Loaf is to die for! I recommend it. 5 stars

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

We usually have this for Easter and at other times as well. When I took it to a potluck supper it was agreed that the recipe needed to be emailed to the others in the group. For a two-pound meat mixture, I omitted the chopped onion and added 1 tsp. of dry mustard. I increased the liquid smoke to 1 tsp. (I will probably use 3/4 tsp. of liquid smoke next time.) For the glaze I used 1 tsp. of dry mustard and 1 tsp. of liquid smoke. (Again, I will use 3/4 tsp. of liquid smoke next time.) When we were in Virginia and used only a ham mixture, it wasn't quite the same. We are lucky to live close to McGonigle's Market in Kansas City, Missouri (www.mcgonigles.com).

lammogliagirl said...

I'm so glad I found this - my mom-in-law used to buy a ready-made ham loaf and glaze it and when she passed away a few months ago, I hadn't gotten the recipe. The whole family expects me to magically be able to recreate it and I think this is the closest one I've seen yet! Am doing the first trial tonight for dinner, can't wait to see how great this is :) Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

Fareway's ham loaf mixture is not the same as McGonigles and 'tho is is sold as ham loaf the taste is different. Probably because the original had ground veal with the pork and ham. It's good but not the same. Kim43