Feb 14, 2012

Smoothie...deliciously good for you!

Nearly two years ago I set out to improve my health. For the most part I have made excellent changes, such as; no caffeine...gone are the Diet Cokes, I rarely have a soda, but if I do it is Squirt or Mug root beer. I increased my water consumption to about 12 glasses per day. I eat way more produce and though sugar is a weakness I consume way less than in the past. One simple way I found to increase produce in my diet is by making a smoothie. The ingredients I have chosen are high in anti oxides and high on the ORAC scales. They are nutrient dense foods that fight disease and improve your skin. The Greek yogurt is packed with protein with no fat and good calcium. The flax seed provides Omega-3's and fiber.
Here is what I put in mine:
2 large hand-fulls of organic baby spinach
1 cup strawberries
1 cup blueberries
1/2 - 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp ground Flaxseed
a little Stevia for sweetness without carbs and calories
First, I blend the spinach with about 1 cup water. I put the blender on high for just a minute or until the spinach has turned to liquid. The bright green color just screams nutritious!
Next I add everything else. Just dump each ingredient in and cover with the lid. Blend until smooth. You may need to add more water, but I also had several cups of ice to create more volume....I want this to fill me up.
The final product. I usually end up with about 32 ounces.
Since becoming a smoothie drinker I have rarely gotten sick. I might get the beginning signs of a cold or sore throat, but within a couple hours it is gone. I have way more energy and I know I am doing something great for my health.

No comments: